Knitting Help page
This is where you'll find hints, tips and tutorials that will help you with some of the techniques used in my designs. Click on a project below for more information;
Mood Cardigan from Modern Daily Knitting Field Guide no 15: Open
The pattern for the Sleeve section instructs you to work the provisional cast on then immediately begin working the Alternating Lace pattern which of course means bringing loops from the provisional cast on into the Sk2p instruction. I’ve had a couple of questions from knitters asking how to pick up the base of these provisional stitches so here’s a little tutorial. (Unfortunately due to technical issues I can't include video here but I'll add one as soon as I can update the site).
If you haven't yet started on your cardigam you can make this slight modification - after working the cast on in waste yarn purl one row then turn so the yarn is at right side of the piece and the knit side is facing before starting to work in Alternating Lace pattern. This will mean Row 1 of the lace pattern is no longer worked directly into the waste coloured cast on so you can pick up the base of the stitches as follows;
1. With RS of work facing untie the end of the chain stitch then carefully unzip the provisional cast on, slowly releasing the live loops onto the knitting needle.
2. With RS of work facing and working across the width of the piece insert a smaller sized knitting needle into the base of the first row of stitches worked in the main colour
3. Once you’ve done this all the way across the row you'll be all set to knit the rib for the sleeves.
However if you’ve followed the pattern instructions to the letter, don’t worry it will still work! Just pick up the base of the cast on stitches as follows:
|1. With RS facing and working across the width of the piece insert a smaller sized knitting needle into base of the first row of stitches worked in the main colour. As you go, make sure that each loop is sitting the correct way on the needle (i.e. facing left with the right leg of the stitch in front).|
|2. Once they’re all safely on the knitting needle start to unravel the chain of the provisional cast on.|
3. When you get to the base of the Sk2p decrease you’ll find the chain no longer unravels.
4. At this point in you’ll need to cut the waste yarn and unpick the waste yarn to release the stitches onto the needle.
5. Continue with a combinations of unravelling and unpicking until all stitches are free.
|For a video guide on how to work the 'k2yrns' in the instructions for this free pattern |
then CLICK HERE for the video tutorial which should help
Figure of 8 Cast On
For a step by step guide on how to work this cast on
For a step by step guide on how to make up the Dar An Cushion
For tips on how to get the scalloped edges on the Mullins Bay scarf